Be Part Of The Team - Advertising and Sponsorship Opportunities

Nottingham 22 vs London Scottish 21 - Match Report

Nottingham ended their stay at Meadow Lane - at least as far as the Championship is concerned - with a hard-fought 22-21 win over London Scottish.

The visitors had a golden opportunity to steal victory from the Green and Whites when the last play of the game brought them a penalty. But Peter Lydon, who had kicked all his side's points, put his effort just wide. Had that kick gone over it would have been a travesty, as Nottingham having outscored their opponents by three tries to nil, always looked the more adventurous.

They even recovered from a spell when they were down to thirteen men following yellow cards in quick succession for props Michael Holford and Conor Carey.

To mark his 150th appearance for the club Dan Montague led the Green and Whites out, but it was Scottish who took the lead in only the second minute when Nottingham were penalised for not releasing a tackled player, Lydon putting over the first of his seven kicks.

Full back Billy Robinson was unfortunate to put enough of a boot into touch to concede a lineout as he tried to run the ball out of his own 22, but Nottingham stole the throw and cleared upfield. When they regained possession they took play up to the visitors' line where Sean Romans managed to squeeze over alongside the posts for the opening try of the day, Dan Mugford making it 7-3 with the conversion.

However, they were penalised following the restart and Lydon cut that lead to a single point before making it 7-9 when the Green and Whites were penalised at the game's first scrum five minutes later.
The second scrum of the game also saw the home side penalised and Lydon duly made it 7-12 midway through the first half.

The restart saw Nottingham gain their first penalty of the afternoon, which Mugford kicked to the corner. From the resulting lineout the pack drove over, but the referee had spotted a couple of offences and ran between the posts to award a penalty try which Mugford converted to put Nottingham back in front.

But Lydon's fifth penalty of the day saw the visitors go in leading 14-15 at the break, and he added three more points a couple of minutes into the second half. They should have stretched that lead when they created a huge overlap down their right wing only to knock on with the line at their mercy.

But the yellow cards disrupted the game, Holford the first to be sent to the sin-bin having only been on as a replacement for a couple of minutes. Nottingham had to bring Carey back into the action for the next scrum but he, too, was shown a yellow card.

Somehow Nottingham managed to keep the visitors out and then regained their lead with a fine try from Pila Iongi in the left hand corner fourteen minutes from time. Once again it was a short-lived lead though, as Lydon slotted over yet another penalty to make it 19-21.

The late stages of the game descended into a bit of a farce with a series of scrum resets, which brought nothing but frustration for all concerned. After one such series, the referee awarded a penalty to Nottingham which replacement Will Maisey coolly planted between the posts to give them a one point lead in the fourth minute of injury time, with the visitors a man short following a yellow card for flanker Neil Best.

Another round of resets scrums brought Scottish that last gasp chance to take the points, but justice was done when the ball sailed wide of the far post.

The win lifted Nottingham above their opponents into third place in the Championship table.