A convincing win for Jersey Reds at The Bay meant that Nottingham kicked off their Championship Cup campaign with a loss.

Despite the torrential rain, the visitors started the game on fire. They immediately got down to business, scoring two tries inside the first ten minutes.

The first was created by a cheeky offload to Dan Barnes ten metres out. The second, just five minutes later came when they exploited a two-on-one on the right-hand side which allowed Ryan Hutler to stroll over the line virtually untouched.

Nottingham hit back though, and after 15 minutes they had a try of their own. A high tackle from Barnes saw him sent to the sin bin and gave a penalty to Nottingham, which they kicked to the corner. A well worked lineout routine then allowed Jack Dickinson to bundle his way over the line.

However, Jersey added onto their lead just a few moments later. The full back, Brendan Owen danced his way deep inside Nottingham territory and offloaded it to Russell Bennett. Despite being tackled, Bennett was able to reach the ball over the line for the try.

The Reds had a chance to add yet another five points to the scoreboard when Harry Graham was shown the yellow card for a high tackle just a few metres from his own try line. From the penalty, Jersey tried to push their way over the try line, but the Green and White defence stood strong and they drove the maul into touch.

At the half-hour mark, Jersey thought they had another try but the referee ruled it had been held up. Nottingham hadn’t escaped yet though, as play was brought back for an earlier penalty which Bennett kicked to the corner. A few moments later Eoghan Clarke had pushed his way through to make the score 24-5.

Right before the break, Jersey were again relentlessly attacking the Nottingham try line. After a number of penalties from the Archers, the referee awarded the visitors a penalty try and showed Jack Dickinson a yellow card.

The second half started with both teams trading punches but neither one able to get through. That was until 15 minutes in when Jersey won a scrum five metres out, and Max Argyle was able to finish it by diving over the line.

Jersey were now 38-5 up, but Craig Hammond’s men weren’t going to just roll over. They kept attacking, and nearly broke through a few minutes later when Xavier Valentine found space, but was unfortunately tripped up by the last man allowing Jersey to get back and clear their lines.

With about 10 minutes remaining, Nottingham thought they were in again. They bundled over the line, but the referee signalled that the ball had been held up.

The Archers eventually got the consolation try they deserved when Jacob Wright burst through the Reds defensive line to score his first ever try for the club.

Next week, Nottingham are at home again, as they welcome Ealing Trailfinders to The Bay for the second round of matches in the Championship Cup.